Picture essay. Silent witnesses buildings in Alkmaar out of the Dutch War of Independence (1568–1648)
Probibly the oldest building in Alkmaar. It was build around 1540.
The Big Church
'Big St.Laurens Church' was build between 1470 and 1520 for Catholics and is one of the most historic buildings in Alkmaar.
The Old Cityhall
This old Cityhall was build between 1509 and 1520 and wasn't remodeled until 1911.
De Waag' is dated out of the 14th century, it used to be a chapel where poor travelers could stay for a couple of days to find food and shelter.
Nowadays it is a cheese museum.
'The Wallen' are the streets where Dutch prostitutes work behind windows.
The House With The Bullit
'The House with the Bullit' is a green colored house in mid Alkmaar. It was hit by a Spanish canon in 1573 and stayed intact.
This is where they used to sell fish. This was build in the 16th century. The doors at the back are there so they could easily get the fishes, who hung in the water behind the building, to stay fresh.
This is an old Roman-Cahtolic church, build in 1540. It was used for religious worships. Nowadays it’s used for big events.
'The Vigilantie' is one of the very few warehouses in Alkmaar that have been build with a lot of different decorations on it.
The Accijns Tower
'The Accijns Tower' was build in 1622, the tower was an office where everybody had to pay their taxes.
‘Hof Van Sonoy’
'The Hof van Sonoy' used to be the Sint Maria Magdalena monastery. In 1572 it was being used as a homeless shelter, nowadays it is a restaurant.
‘Huis van Achten’
'The House of Eight' was build just like the 'Hof van Sonoy', only this time for six, seven or eight unwed men.
‘Huis van Zessen’
The House of Six' was build in 1510 but was drastically remodeled in the 19th and 20th century.
‘Hofje van Splinter’
After she passed away it was being used as a home for 8 unwed ladies. 'Hofje van Splinter' was build in 1646 from the inheritance of Margaretha Splinter.
'Piet's Mill' this mill is officially called 'De Groot' which means, the big, it was build in 1605 and is the only one left out of 10 mills that used to stand in the area.